Every time I go to Target, Wal-Mart, or really any drug store I find myself lost in the cosmetics section wanting to try everything on the shelves. Lipstick, lip gloss, lip stains, lip balms, lip liners – there is almost too much to choose from (and this is only one part of the face!). For me, the choosing process is even more difficult because of the low prices. This might not make sense at first, but hear me out. See, when I shop from more expensive makeup brands like MAC or Benefit I come in knowing exactly what I’m looking and how much I am willing to pay. Plus I am able to sample the different products to be sure I am happy with my purchases. I usually end up with maybe 2 or 3 things whereas when I shop at stores like Rite-Aid I leave with a bag full products. “What’s wrong with that?” you might ask. Well, usually I end up only using half the products I purchase. Whether it is because it lacks the quality I’m looking for or it’s simply not my shade. At first I became very discouraged and didn’t want to buy any product unless I got to sample it. But being on a college student’s budget and wanting to still keep up with trends there was no way I could afford to buy all my makeup from Sephora…
As a result, I discovered ways to find the perfect affordable product all without having to try it on beforehand. I begin by having a good idea of what new trend I want to try by looking through magazines, watching makeup gurus on YouTube, etc. For example if I want to try an orange lip color there are a few things I need to determine. Like my skin tone and which kind of orange will match well with it (Maybe neon orange? Maybe a delicate coral?). Then I have to think about what I want from the product whether it be a matte finish, a shiny gloss, or something moisturizing and on the natural side. But the key thing in finding the best product for you is to do your research. You can easily find articles on makeup dupes (drug store products that have been compared to high end brands) and popular top-rated drug store makeup products with personal reviews. And if you want to know how a product looks on – because it may look a bit different than what you see on its packaging – check out tutorials from the hundreds of makeup gurus on YouTube. One of my favorites is guru BeautywithEmilyFox, she has great videos on lipstick swatches from a variety of drug store brands and covers every color from their line.
By following these steps I get exactly what I want with products I am more than happy with. The proper research allows you to keep the quality of makeup you are looking for. Also because they are drug store brands you can buy a bag full of products compared to the few items you would get from more expensive cosmetic lines. If you love to keep up with trends like I do having an assortment of makeup to choose from is important. Below I have also listed some of my top drug store products. I hope this helps your makeup shopping process and good luck!
1. Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm: smooth, very easy to apply, moisturizing, bright pigments
2. Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream: wonderful wand that helps for easy application, very very matte, long-lasting
3. Maybelline Colorsational Lipstick: excellent pigments/ variety of colors, bright as can be, available in matte
4. Maybelline Blushed Nude Palette: beautiful colors, easy to mix and match different shades
5. L’oreal Pop Balm: great for moisturizing lips, color appears lighter than on packaging
6. Milani Color Statement Lipstick: not as smooth to apply but that makes it easier to shape your lips with minimal mess-ups, long lasting
7. L’oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes: great for length, waterproof never smudges!
8. FitMe Foundation: great overall coverage, smooth finish, available in matte and dewey
Sign up for bondswell.com – invite code bondswellblog